The son of retired NFL star Lem Barney has confirmed that his father is “alive” following an erroneous report from the Pro Football Hall of Fame (PFHOF) claiming the former Detroit Lions cornerback had passed away.
Lem Jr. spoke with Detroit Free Press sportswriter Dave Birkett and assured him that his 80-year-old father is not dead. On Saturday, Nov. 29, Birkett shared the update on his X account, noting that Lem Jr. had seen his father on Thanksgiving and began receiving multiple messages inquiring about Lem Sr.’s status.
“He said he talked to Lem’s nurse today, had her send a selfie, heard his voice in the background,” Birkett wrote. Lem Jr. added, “He’s good independently. Please accept our apology.”
The confusion stemmed from an obituary posted on NFL.com following the PFHOF’s initial announcement. According to the NFL’s website, the PFHOF had cited “media sources associated with the Detroit Lions” as the basis for the incorrect report.
Lem Barney Sr. had an impressive NFL career, playing for the Detroit Lions from 1967 to 1977. In 1992, his achievements were honored with induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Lem Jr. also revealed to Birkett that this is not the first time he has had to address false reports about his father’s passing. In another post on X, Birkett shared, “Lem Jr. said this is the second time in a few months he’s had to address false rumors about his dad’s passing. Said it happened after the flood in Texas earlier this year.”
The family appreciates everyone’s concern and requests that people refrain from spreading unverified information.
—
*Never miss a story.*
Sign up for PEOPLE’s free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer — from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
https://people.com/lem-barney-is-not-dead-retired-nfl-stars-son-says-after-hall-of-fames-false-report-11858981
